Sunday, October 5, 2008

Sunday Supper: Introduction

Sunday Supper: Introduction


Nearly every Sunday I travel a long 3 blocks (sometimes I do drive, as it ain't easy walking with a decanted '94 Graham's Port, and of course it can look odd to ongoing pedestrians) to cap off a long work week by indulging in a wonderful dining experience. The food is always excellent, masterfully created by the head chef, whose renowned culinary quality is only known by those closest to him. The setting is always informal, but I do make sure to take off my hat once I get to the table. The experience is always enhanced by the warm surroundings, the caring and loving fellow diners, (of which the chef is included -- damned if he doesn't chow down on his own creations right?) and of course, the wine.

The location is my parent’s house. Don't blink or cock your head thinking I'm some mentally displaced citizen. These meals are some of the finest I have had to date, even if the pot roast stays on the menu a tad too long in the winter. And I don't even have to tip! My constant banter and jokes are better than any gratuity these folks could ask for. At least, I seem to think so.

Sunday dinners have been a tradition in my family since I can remember, and as I grew from a teenager to a young adult, especially when I started as a stock boy at a local wine shop around 19 years old, they gained even more importance. When most teenagers were gettin' all Anarchy on their 'rents, I was finally growing close to my father. Simply put, wine was bringing us closer together. While the food was typically always delicious, and the conversation grand, the wine held as the centerpiece. It took away any awkwardness I may have felt about any potential uncomfortable situations. "What's going on with school," was the typical question raised. Getting to take a sip of some solid Burgundy always helped ease the muscles in the brain before I had to give an answer. There were even times Sunday dinners have welcomed different female companions over the years, for the both of us. Luckily, dad found a wonderful lady a few years ago, who serves as my main dinner guest, and my best audience for all my comedic successes, and blunders.

This introduction will serve as a precursor to any and all future editions of 'Sunday Supper.' Hopefully, this will give you something of a glimpse of my own personal journey of understanding the grape, it's meaning for me, its growing diversity, and all that comes with it, unless of course, it’s corked.

In Vino Veritas!
bmorewineguy

4 comments:

Unknown said...

lovely!

Anonymous said...

what a great effort

Heather said...

That's very sweet, Jake.

Billyray said...

Hey Jake....good stuff. I will definately read going forward. Love a good Sav Blanc! Try the Frogs Leap 2007 when you get a chance....shouldn't dissapoint. Billyray